Most of the time the animals were sitting in a small cage while they could hear the screams of their fellow mates being killed above them. They must feel the fear, the death, I thought.
And it is hard sometimes to look at the hanging meat here and there when you pass through bazaar streets (maybe just for me as a vegetarian, I don't know)
But on the other hand, I feel it is much more honest. We're killing and producing animals in a massive scale in Europe, most of the time accompanied with an overproduction that we put again into the waste-bin. Here just the animals are being killed that can be sold and eaten aswell. And the people see the animals first, before they decide to take one of the head-cut off fellows with them.
I think in this regard, the dealing of this society is much more honest than in my own, as there most of the people don't have any connection between the meat on their plate and the animal that probably has never seen the light in his fabric-produced life...
2 Kommentare:
Oh I think you are so right about people becoming disconnected from their food sources in the west. So many people cannot even identify so many fruit and vegetables.
I'm actually quite militant about meat. Sometimes I am of the opinion that people should not be allowed to eat meat if they are not able to kill it...I'm not saying that they have to kill everything, that clearly will never work. I've seen a number of people who eat meat all the time, but give them a peice of raw meat to prepare and they freak out.
I grew up around a farm and as a meat eater who's hunted some nice rabbits, so it saddens me to see this disconnection. The ability to live entirely on packaged and prepared food really does not help.
It's really time you are coming to India. You go to a restaurant and suddenly realize it is a vegetarian one. And a good one too!
Kommentar veröffentlichen