Montag, 7. Dezember 2009

Why does the young man stand on the chair?



„You have to come with us.“

„Why? I don't have courses today. I'm just here to get some texts copied and I need to do some reading in the library...“

„No, but it's the beginning of the semester and you are aswell new on the uni. So we, as your elder classfellows have to introduce you into uni...“

says my smiling classfellow, who is one year younger. I have already endured two years of university education. But well, here I am new, so I follow them into a classroom full of students, who giggle and look around uncertain what's gonna happen:
the first semesters.
I sit down as one of them, observing how the „older students“ who have already studied two or three semesters, call one after the next student in front. They place them on chairs (either sitting or standing on them), let them answer silly questions to introduce them or let them dance:

it's the first days of their university career, so they should have fun. At least in the beginning.

As it is my turn, I stand in front of class, I have the name „I fly, I fly away“ and have to sing a song. What? She cannot sing an Urdu song? Ok, an english one will be acceptable, too. We laugh together and after a while stroll out of the classroom to the jungle like campus. Unity and fun in the form of dancing and singing is something that's missing at least in my homeuni.
Maybe in this country sometimes aswell. So maybe they made a not so bad start with it.

1 Kommentar:

Mr Petey hat gesagt…

Pffft! I've got all kinds of years on you girl but still I know it's sometimes time for me to stand on the chair for you.